One of my favorite dish is Tofu steaks. I throw some eggplant pieces as well, but you don’t have to.
It is pretty simple to make and satisfy your hunger.
For the Tofu
- Potato starch (Corn starch works as well.)
- 1/2 package of Firm Tofu
- Soy oil (or whatever the oil you wish to cook with)
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Cooking wine
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste/ fresh ginger chopped
For the dipping sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise or unsweetened Vegan yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp Horse radish
- Veggies for garnishing
- Drain water from Tofu. (Wrap the Tofu with paper towel and put a dish or something on the Tofu. Wait for 20-30 minutes.)
- Cut the Tofu into desired pieces and coat with Potato starch.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the Tofu in medium to high heat. (You can cook other stuff such as eggplant, zucchini, or sweet potato the same way. This time I cooked eggplant.)
- Mean while mix Mirin, Soy sauce, Cooking wine, and Ginger paste together. If you like sweet you can add some sugar as well.
- When the Tofu is crispy both side, turn down to low heat. Poor the sauce mixture into a pan and mix well with the Tofu.
- Garnish your plate with veggies. I used lettuce, shredded carrots, and green onions. Put the Tofu on top.
- If you like you can make dipping sauce. Just mix Vegan mayonnaise or unsweetened Vegan yogurt and Horse radish.
There you have it.
Goes well with rice, but you can also wrap in lettuce too.